- If your car battery is dead and someone is willing to give you a jump start, attach the red positive cable clamp to the positive (+) battery terminal of the dead battery.
- Then, secure the red positive cable clamp on the other side of the jumper cables to the functioning vehicles’ positive (+) battery terminal.
- Next, connect the black negative cable clamp to the working battery’s negative (-) battery terminal; however, don’t connect the black negative cable clamp to the dead battery. Instead, attach it to an unpainted, metal part of the car.
- Start the working vehicle then wait a minute.
- Start the dead car.
- Once the dead vehicle is running, disconnect the cables starting with the black clamps.
TIP: When jump starting a vehicle, do not let the clamps touch each other while any part of the cables is still attached to a car.
Don’t miss a weekly “You Auto Know” automotive tip. CLICK HERE to sign up.
Please drive safely.